Monday 2 January 2012

Traffic Lights



New Years Eve over for another year - all the build up, all the resolutions for the year ahead, all the gloom of the fact you will be another year older!!!


So this is me keeping one of my resolutions see 2 blogs in 3 days yay!!


This will slow down you will be pleased to hear but have had this thought running around in my head for ages and just wanted to share.


I was at some traffic lights a few weeks ago and it went from green to red without a amber (or if it did happen I must have blinked and missed it)
Now this was fine as I was slowing down as I approached the lights and could stop safely and also had the time to be aware of what the traffic around me and behind me was doing.
Then I was waiting for the amber  and once again  it missed amber and just went red to green !!


Ok I admit this is not the most exciting thing you have read so far but how many of us have felt sometimes our life feels like we are at a red light we are at a stop. I know this is something I go through on regular basis whether this on a daily basis or on a 5 yearly basis!!


I remember when I was learning to drive, many moons ago, the sequence for lights but the one thing that my instructor used to say to me every colour means stop except for green.
When putting that knowledge on how I look at my life through the traffic light system I am even more at stop than I originally thought!
So thinking about it what does it mean when my life feels I am at a red light, have I stopped breathing !!! No, it just means I need to look around me see what is happening, reflect on what is happening, see if I need to change anything but its not a bad place we all need this time and it can feel like ages when you are at a red light in situations but it is important time not just frustrating - think about when you are stuck at a red traffic light and you think its a major inconvenience remember before traffic lights you may have had a accident at that junction or waited even longer for a break in traffic for you to pull out!!
Now when I am at amber in my life this is time for me to get ready whether it is amber to red or amber to green.
 If it is amber to red then its time me to slow down, understand that red is not a negative but a positive time, time for me to take stock ready for when the red comes so I can rest my engine not waste energy and be grateful for the safety of the time that red will bring.
If it is amber to green then its time to learn, to read and study, to develop all the thoughts you had when you was at red when you had the time to look, get your brain buzzing with all the things that you want to achieve so when that green light comes you will be ready.


Then the green light comes, wow and you are off its a road of great discovery, a wide road that is clear but like any road it will raise obstacles, this may be bends, holes in the road, traffic police!! but the engine is running, you move forward in your day to day life but like driving you never know when the next traffic light will come, unless its a road that you have travelled before. Because there are roads in our lives that we will have to drive regular the day to day ones where the lights are just part of the routine. But there are others they come up every once in a while and probably these are the ones that are are the most frustrating but also the most exciting. When we are on one of these roads we need to be aware of the red....... amber lights so when that green comes on we are ready for what ever adventure lies ahead.



So when you look at your resolutions, ambitions hopes and dreams do not be surprised if sometimes you come to a red light or a amber. Just remember these times are for safety, and in the long run they will speed your journey.



Proverbs 16:3 Msg-  Put God in charge of your work, then what you've planned will take place.

For another interesting read on traffic lights - why not check out this blog?

2 comments:

  1. Great illustration of how God guides us in our day to day lives Jan. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete